Make room in your fridge and cupboards for these powerfoods and you’ll fast-track yourself to health and fitness.
The five foods below need to become regulars in your meals if you want to lose fat and transform your body.
All you’ve got to do is find a delicious way to cook them.
- Meat should form the basis of most of your meals. It’s a primary source of protein – a palm sized amount contains 20-30g.
- Protein is broken down into amino acids, the buidling blocks responsible for growth and repair in the body. If you want to keep and even gain muscle mass whilst dieting, you need this stuff.
- Meat contains few (if any carbohydrates), perfect when you are attempting to follow a low carb diet.
- Meat is a source of saturated fat. Saturated fats are used to build cell membranes and comprise a large component of important hormones. They are also the preferred fuel for your heart and other tissues.
- Try and source organic meat whenever possible, and always check the label to ensure no sugar or other nasty stuff has been added.
- Eggs make a meal out of anything. They can be fried, poached, boiled, scrambled. They can be turned into omlettes and quiches. They can be used to create healthy cakes, bread and muffins when combined with coconut flour.
- Eggs are one of the most complete protein sources. They trump other dairy and meat products by a long way.
- Eggs are nutrient rich iron, Vitamin A, B12 and lecithin.
- A single boiled egg contains just 1g of carbs, but 6g of protein and 5g of fat (2g saturated).
- Boiled eggs can be carried around as a high-quality snack. Try rubbing with salt and pepper.
- Vegatables are versatile. They can be steamed, boiled, roasted, grilled, fried. I can guarantee there is a way to cook a given vegetable that you will enjoy eating.
- Vegatables are packed with fibre. Fibre keeps your digestive tract in good health. It also makes you feel full, which stops you eating too many calories.
- Vegatables contain a low number of calories. You aren’t going to get fat by only eating vegetables. You’d have to eat 286 cups of spinach to hit 2,000 calories (1 cup is 7 calories).
- Vegatables are rich in nutrient and vitamins. You body functions better when it has these in plentiful supply.
- The best vegetables are the cruciferous ones. Broccoli, spinach, beetroot, cabbage, cauliflower and bok choy are excellent choices.
- Berries would have been a staple in our ancestors’ diets, due to them being in plentiful supply. Our bodies have evolved to digest them effectively over millions of years.
- Berries have a low carbohydrate count. One cup of blueberries contains 21g of carbs (of which 15g is sugar, 4g fibre), compared to a cup of banana which contains 50g of carbs (of which 28g is sugar, 6g fibre).
- Berries have high antioxidant levels. Cranberries, blueberries and blackberries rank highest.
- Berries are low G.I. They don’t cause rapid rises in blood sugar, and therefore don’t create an insulin spike. Insulin spikes are bad because they lead to glucose and fat beign stored in your fat cells, and over time make you insulin resistant and prone to type 2 diabetes.
- Oils are good to fry and roast meat and vegetables.
- Oils form good salad dressing. Combine with other ingredients such as mustaard and balsamic vinegar for a tasty zing.
- Olive oil, coconut oil and nut oil all contain good omega-3 and saturated fats.
- Avoid hydrogenated vegetable oils. They processed and most of the goodness has been removed. The hydrogentation process used to make them means they can contain high levels of trans fats. Trans fats damage artery walls causing abnormal plaque build-up that blocks blood low. They also promote inflammation and inhibit the bodies use of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Coconut oil is stable at high temperatures, making it create for frying. Other oils quickly break down into trans fats at high temperatures.
- Fish oil is another great oil to use as a supplement, especially if you don’t eat much fish. It is rich in essential fats that reduce inflamation and boost metabolim, amonst other benefits.
There are, of course, other foods that you need to be eating. But the list above forms a good basis.
Stock up, and watch the pounds drop off.