This year I want you to achieve a miraculous body transformation.
Want ripped abs and sculpted muscles by Summer? Then you’ve got to start now.
I’m currently 12kg heavier than I was at my lightest in 2011. I’ve gained some muscle since then, but fat too. It’s time for us both to shed it.
Here’s what I’m doing:
- Stopping eating when you feel 70% full. This is the first fat loss trick to help reduce your overall calorie intake (remember you have to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight – the law of thermodynamics tells us this)
- Perform 2-3 hours of strength training every week. Prioritise resistance training over all other forms of exercise. Forget long runs and endless hours on your bicycle. This DOESN’T work for fat loss! And who the hell has time for that. Instead do 2-3 hours of strength/resistance training every week. Not only will you stop yourself losing valuable muscle mass but if you keep rest periods short between exercises you’ll also improve your cardio conditioning.
- Throw in some bodyweight circuits. Do these on days you’re not resistance training. Keep session short (a maximum of 20 minutes) but go HARD. You should be out of breath for 10 minutes after you’ve finished and feel pretty beat up for an hour or so.
- Reduce carb intake to create a calorie deficit. Cut down on carbs such as rice, bread, pasta (basically anything other than veg). These are calorie dense foods and they make it easy to overeat. Instead eat lots of vegetables which are nutrient dense but not calorie dense. They’ll fill you up and the nutrients will ensure your body functions optimally. If you do want other carbs then eat them shortly after exercise when the body is better able to process them to refuel your muscle cells.
- Eat more protein. All your meals should include some. Fish, eggs, beef, meat in general, are excellent.
- Set goals and record your progress. Create a 12 week goal. Make it realistic and measurable. Think of a reward to give yourself if you achieve it. Assess yourself every 2 weeks. Are you heading towards your goal or away from it? Adjust accordingly.
- Keep a journal. Write down your goal. Write down your thoughts and feelings. I bet you’ll want to look back at some point in the future.
- Don’t fall for the marketing hype. Acai Berries were the scam of 2011. And you bet there will be a new ‘magic weight loss pill’ in 2012. I GUARANTEE they won’t work. NOTHING substitutes for hard work and perseverance.