This site is about transforming your body and losing fat in as short a space of time as possible - whilst still ensuring you remain fit, strong and keep your hard earned muscle.
To lose fat you must understand the 5 areas below, and follow each of the rules given.
The biggest secret to losing fat is diet. You will never lose fat no matter how much time you spend exercising if you are not eating poorly.
- Create a calorie deficit. The only way to lose fat is to create a calorie deficit everyday by eating less and exercising more. It is scientifically impossible to lose weight any other way. Aim to burn off 500 more calories than you eat for a 1 pound fat loss per week.
- Eat whole foods. Avoid anything that comes in a package or carton – yes, that eliminates most supermarket foods. They are high in sugar, salt and other nasty chemicals. Instead buy fresh, raw ingredients to cook yourself.
- Avoid low fat/diet ranges. Products with reduced fat often contain more sugar and sweeteners than regular food to make them taste food. Your better off buying full fat, natural foods.
- Reduce portion size. Decrease the volume of food you eat at every meal, but increase the number of times you eat in a day. 3 main meals and 2 snacks is perfect to keep your metabolism high and deliver a constant stream of nutrients to your cells. Don’t go more than 4 hours without eating.
- Forget fads. Most diet book and magazine want you to think there is a ‘secret’ to fat loss. There isn’t. Save your money by not buying into every new diet fad that comes along. Follow the rules on this page and you’ll have much more success.
2. Constructing Meals
As well as eating less calories than you burn, you need to learn how to balance the macro-nutrient ratios effectively to lose fat. That’s how much protein, fat and carbohydrates go into each meal.
- Protein. One quarter of your plate should be a lean source of protein to prevent muscle loss when dieting and losing fat. Good examples are chicken, fish, eggs and lean beef.
- Carbohydrates. Eliminate grains and all other carbohydrates (except vegetables) from your diet. The biggest culprits of weight gain are cereal, potatoes, rice, bread and pasta. Your body does not need them and finds them difficult to digest causing bloating and stomach cramps. This applies to fruit also. Don’t eat more than one piece per day. If you want to eat fruit, make sure it is low GI to prevent glucose spikes – dark berries are a good choice.
- Healthy fats. Contrary to popular belief, eating fat does not make you fat. Add good fats to each and every meal, but avoid saturated fats. Good sources of fat include coconut oil, olive oil, nuts and seeds.
- Vegetables. The majority of your plate should comprise of vegetables (potatoes not included). They make you feel full and are a fantastic source of vitamins and nutrients. The best choices are the calciferous variety – kale, broccoli, spinach, cauliflower. The less you cook them, the better they’ll be for you.
- No liquid calories. Your calorie deficit can easily be sabotaged by drinks, so it’s best to stick to water or green tea only. Alcohol, fruit juices, coffees, sodas and energy drinks all contain calories that can’t be put to good use by your body.
- Supplements. The only supplements you need to lose fat are fish oil and a good multivitamin. Fish oil is rich in omega 3 and omega 6, which have been shown to speed up metabolism and keep joints health. A multivitamin replaces the nutrients you are missing due to eating less food, and also keeps your gut health.
3. Post-workout Meals
- Protein. Ingest fast absorbing protein directly after your workout to help repair your muscles. A whey protein shake is a good choice and easy to prepare.
- Carbohydrates. Some people who are already lean may want to eat a source of carbs directly post-workout with the protein. However, if you are over 10% body fat you’ll lose fat faster without them.
4. Resistance Training
To lose fat and prevent muscle loss (which causes your metabolism to drop) you must be lifting weights at least 3 times per week for 30 minutes each session.
- Compound exercises. Make the majority of your lifts compound exercises. These burn more calories per rep than isolation exercises by stressing more muscle groups.
- Rest periods. Reduce the amount of time you rest between sets to keep your heart rate elevated during your workout. Another trick is to perform exercises in a circuit to give your muscles enough time to recover with shorter rest periods.
- Full body workouts. Each workout should include one pushing movement, one pulling movement, and one leg exercise. An example workout would be 40 reps of each of the following exercises: chip-ups, dips, squats.
- Intensity. Most set and rep protocols will work for fat loss. The key is to workout with intensity. Lift the weight as fast as you can on each rep and stop when you begin to feel yourself slowing down.
5. Cardiovascular Training
Fat loss comes down to creating a calorie deficit. Cardiovascular training is the best way to increase your activity levels and create than deficit.
- High intensity training. Recommended if you are already quite fit and active. 15-20 minutes of interval training burns calories during the workout and for hours afterwards. It also produces a surge of human growth hormone that ensures you don’t lose muscle mass during the diet. But, you must train with intensity for the entire 20 minutes to make a difference. You should be lying on the floor gasping for air by the end of it. Do 2 sessions per week.
- Steady state cardio. Recommended for those just starting out. Spend 40-60 minutes doing low intensity activity, such as running, brisk walking or cycling. Aim to get your heart rate to 70% of it’s maximum. Perform this type of exercise 4-6 times per week. After 6 weeks it’s recommended you switch to high intensity training, as your body will have adapted to the work load by then and your fat loss will stall. Also, too much cardio can cause muscle loss.
Related Fat Loss Articles
- How Do I Lose Belly Fat?
- 47 Things I’ve Learned During A Decade Of Trying To Lose Weight And Get Lean
- Resistance Band Sprints For Fat Loss
- Calculating The Perfect Calorie Sweet Spot For Fat Loss
- Why Failing To Check Your Calorie Feedback Loop Is A Big Fat Loss Mistake
- The Most Effective Way To Lose Weight In 2 Steps