Sometimes not having abs bugs the hell out of you.
It’s not lack of motivation – you go to the gym everyday. You do more crunches than a professional boxer. But the magic just isn’t happening.
You wonder if your podgy belly is destined to follow you around forever. “It must be genetics”, you moan to anyone that’ll listen.
Yet all around you see lean guys with ripped abs – laughing, joking, and getting all the girls.
Genetics do play a part. They dictate how easy it will be for you to get a six pack and what it will look like.
But believe me – everyone, including you is capable of getting chiseled abs.
You just need to know the truth…
You’ve been lied to and mislead by infomercials, fitness gurus and magazines.
Crunches and ab exercises do not result in a six pack! They only strengthen your core muscles, making them stronger and perhaps a little bigger.
But bigger abs will make them more visible, right?
Unless your abdominal muscles are already showing, then making the muscles bigger will actually make you look fatter!
The real secret of rock hard abs
You are wasting your time in the gym with your ab routine.
The secret to rock hard abs is simple.
Your body fat percentage must be low enough that the layer of fat covering them is thin enough for your abdominal muscles to shine through.
This typically happens when you hit 8-10% body fat in men and 12-15% body fat in women.
You have a six pack right now, but there’s a thick layer of fat hiding them from the world.
To show your six-pack you need to evaporate that fat.
And no, you can’t just lose fat from your belly. You have to lower your overall body fat. It comes off in the order it goes on – typically belly fat is the last to go.
Think of wrapping an object in bubble wrap. It’s tough to tell what it is and to feel the shape underneath. Popping all the bubbles makes the plastic layer much thinner, giving a better impression of the shape underneath.
Or imagine being given a Christmas present wrapped in a thick blanket. You wouldn’t expect to be able to make out what the present was.
Doing endless ab exercises is the equivalent of making the present bigger but keeping the same thickness of blanket. You still won’t be able to clearly see its shape.
How to train and eat for six-pack abs
You can get a six pack without doing one ab exercise.
Just focus on dropping 1-2 pounds of fat per week until you hit the magic body fat percentage and BOOM – your abs magically appear. (You can calculate how long it will take you using this six pack reference chart).
- Stop focusing on crunches and start focusing on dropping body fat. Not only will you get a six pack but the rest of your muscle definition will improve.
- Diet is the real secret to abs. You must create a daily calorie deficit until you reach your goal.
- Cut out sugar and fast food which are highly calorific.
- Limit starchy carb intake to the post workout window, if at all. That means limiting bread, pasta, rice, potatos, even fruit. Stick to vegetables which contain tons of nutrients and are low in calories.
- Eat plenty of lean protein. Aim for at least 1g per pound of body weight. The best sources are eggs, fish, beef and chicken.
- Perform interval training workouts 2-3 times per week.
- Perform resistance training compound exercises that challenge your largest muscle groups. Bicep curls won’t cut it. You need to be doing squats, desdlifts, pushups, burners, etc. to really ramp up your metabolism and burn calories.
And finally, don’t give up. Dropping body fat takes time, but you WILL get there. Patience and determination are key.
The results are worth it.